SIL Design Specialist (English)
This interactive training will teach you functional safety design requirements for instrumented safeguards directly from lessons learned. By solving real cases you will also learn how to apply the requirements in order to design effective process safeguards that achieve and maintain the required barrier integrity.
Safety Integrity Level (SIL) is a key concept in the design of process safeguards. SIL level indicates the probability of failure of an instrumented safeguard, and to what extend the safeguard fails in a safe way.
According to specialistic studies, 70% of failures to facilitate a process safe state are caused by inadequate design of the barriers. Design errors lead to incidents, which nullify all the efforts invested in building a SIL function.
Requirements from the functional safety standards IEC61508 and IEC61511 help prevent incorrect, incomplete, inconsistent or fragmented design specifications for the instrumented safeguards. It is therefore paramount to know and apply these requirements in the design phase, and to uphold them during the safeguard mission time.
Process and automation engineers, project engineers, safety engineers, (HSEQ) and safety managers, project managers, specialists, sales engineers, procurement personnel, technical reviewers, safety assessors, functional safety experts, technical managers.
Business of interest include engineering companies, automation companies, integrators, contractors, inspection and auditing companies.
- This training is especially suitable as professional development for TÜV FS Engineers, as it utilizes (and refreshes) all the background information of the TÜV FS Engineering while focusing on the specifics of the design process and elaborating on safety requirement specifications
The nature and content of this course require direct involvement of the attendees in solving cases, therefore participation is advised for people with a basic working knowledge of functional safety in the process industry. A few years of work experience are ideal.
- Statistics of Design Errors
- Refreshment of key elements of Functional Safety (IEC61508 / IEC61511 framework)
- Practial case studies from the field handling, among others, the following aspects:
o Safe State and success criteria
o Initiating Causes
o Process Safety Time
o Mean Time to Repair
o False Trips
o Maintenance and Proof Testing
o Modes of Operation
o Common Causes
o SRS and Security
At the end of this training:
- You can judge whether a generic set of input documents is sufficient to build a safeguard that achieves the required safety integrity.
- You know how to correctly interpret requirements from a Safety Requirement Specification (SRS) according to Functional Safety norms.
- You have become aware of the nature of pitfalls that may be hidden in a non-compliant SRS, and can make target searches.
- You are aware of the possible consequences of the pitfalls in real plant life and will be able to prevent these consequences in your specific environment.
- You know how to maintain the intended safety integrity of the safeguards in your plant.
The training consists of 2 days and is very interactive. After a short refreshment of the basics of Functional Safety, you will engage in solving different cases. In this way, you will not simply learn the requirements, but also deduce the relevance and necessity of the requirement by first-hand experience. This approach will engage you, bring the subject near to you and increase the retention time of what you learn.
Our Masterclasses are always highly interactive with plenty of room for discussion and questions.
Please contact us at +31 (0)765 040 340 for more information concerning this course and options for in-house training (English speaking). We provide this course worldwide.
Er zijn nog geen reviews voor deze training...
Course fee€ 1.225
Materclass Design of Instrumented Safeguards
Groupsizemax. 8 participants
LocationSee Training Dates
StudiemateriaalSheets + appendices
Exam & certificationCertificate of participation
October 14th and 21th 2021
Location: D&F kantoor Breda